Community-based work experience is intended to help prepare students for the transition from secondary school to the world of work or further education and training. In work experience, the community is the classroom where students gain knowledge and experience about the workplace and are provided with a frame of reference to review or revise their career goals.
Work experience provides students with an opportunity to apply classroom learning in a context outside of school and to bring back to the classroom new perspectives about their learning. Work experience also provides students with the chance to gain new skills that can be used in future work opportunities.
Work Experience is open to students in grades 11 and 12 and provides students with the opportunity to explore one or more career areas. Students can earn up to 8 credits towards graduation; WEX 12A (4 credits) and WEX 12B (4 credits).
Work experience consists of about 15 hours of preplacement activities and about 90 hours of work site placements. Students are usually placed on job sites after school, on weekends during school breaks or during school time depending on the placement and the student’s schedule. Students select placements base on their interests and can be short or long term.
Through work experience, students have the opportunity to observe and practice generic employability skills required in the workplace, as well as technical and applied skills relating to specific occupations or careers.
Advantages of participating in Work Experience include helping students to:
- connect what they learn in the classroom with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed in the workplace
- gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to be successful in the workplace
- develop job readiness skills for specific occupations and careers
- understand the similarities and differences in behavior standards between the workplace and school
- enhance their resume with work experience
- make informed career decisions.
Mr. Miller is the Work Experience Coordinator (His office is in the counselling center)
or email: email@example.com
or talk to your counsellor or the career advisor