Our district team and school planning team have been working to search for ways to support our grads as we navigate the ongoing challenges of our "new reality." The health and safety of our students, staff and families continue to be our priority as we plan for the Mission Secondary Graduating Class of 2021. After consultation with our district health team, we have a plan that will honour our students and parents. The event will respect physical distancing guidelines, allow for each grad to be celebrated in person, and provide a live streaming of the event.
While we still cannot host our traditional graduation ceremony with over 1800 people at the venue in Abbotsford, our current plan allows our graduates to cross the stage with their family taking pictures and celebrating their accomplishments. This event will occur on Saturday, June 19 starting at 9:00am with opening ceremonies that will be streamed live so the school community can watch virtually. Starting at 9:30 am the first 50 students will walk the stage one by one and this process will continue on the hour until all grads have crossed the stage. This unique opportunity for parents/guardians provides a powerful experience for both our graduates and their families to be together in person and mark this significant academic milestone. This event is a complex undertaking that demonstrates our commitment to our graduates to ensure that they are recognized in the best way possible during the COVID-19 pandemic.
2021 Convocation Process
- Starting Wednesday June 2, from 11:00am – 2:30pm families can come to Mission Secondary to sign up for their Grad Commencement (June 19th) time slots. After this day, the sign up will occur at the counselling office window. Students may choose to select a time where they are with their friends
- Starting Wednesday June 9, from 11:00am – 2:30pm families can come to Mission Secondary to pick up their grad gowns. This process will continue for the rest of the week (June 10 – 18) so students can come and pick up their grad gown and caps on their alpha day.
- All fees should be paid online as well as their grad fee.
- Allowing students to pick up their grad gown and cap early allows for families to get pictures done with extended families and the cap and gown is theirs to keep.
June 19 order of events
- 9:00 am Opening ceremonies streamed live for families to watch virtually
- 9:30 first 50 cars to arrive for crossing the stage
- One at a time, students will get out of car walk the red carpet and come onto the stage
- They will have their picture taken with Mr. Pearce and he will pronounce them as a grad of 2021
- Parents will be able to get out of car and take pictures
- Student will exit stage and pick up their folder yearbook and scholarship if they were awarded one
- This process will occur on the hour from the sign up the student had done the week before
- Mission Secondary staff will be on site moving people and directing people to keep all the social distance procedures in place
- Students are encouraged to be in their grad cap and gown but are also welcome to wear their most special “prom" outfit as well.
To respect our province's physical distancing guidelines, parents and students will be expected to leave the parking lot directly following their graduation photo. Mission staff will be monitoring parking lots to ensure groups are not congregating, holding up the schedule and preventing the next group of graduates and their family representatives from arriving on time.
Live Streaming, Photography and Graduation Celebration Video
The entire event will be live-streamed on June 19 so you may watch your peers as well as have your family celebrate from home as you cross the stage. The live streamed video will be available online for a couple of weeks after the event.
If you wish to live stream the Commencement Ceremony on your computer or mobile device, please follow this link:
As you might imagine, there will be a lot to coordinate to make this event a success. We have a team of teachers, support staff and administrators who will be working to put this together.
An important reminder that all Grade 12 students must be in a position to graduate to take part in the event. We are working with our Counselling staff and administration to ensure that students are notified, and a plan is in place to support students for a strong end to the school year.
Outstanding fees for student activities, lost library books, textbooks, and uniforms need to be paid. The $60.00 graduation fee will cover the cost for the diploma, photographer, live streaming, grad cap & gown, security for parking, rental of the raceway and other grad expenses.
Over the next week or so, please look for communication from the school for further details about the graduation ceremony.
Some of the “to do" items for graduates will include:
- Ensuring you are a graduate in good standing – if you are not sure contact your teachers and your counsellor today
- Paying attention to grad announcements on the website, via school messenger and email
We hope this unique celebration will highlight an exceptional group of graduates and their families.
Please contact us at the school if you have any questions.
Jim Pearce, Principal