Encouraging, Recognizing and Rewarding Excellence
For any scholarship information, all questions or inquiries, please contact Ms. Evans
Students - Please check out the Scholarship Bulletin Board outside of the Counselling office and follow Ms. Evans on Instagram at mss_scholars.
- Mission Community Foundation scholarships are currently open, they close on February 28th, working copies of applications can be picked up in the counselling office, see Mrs. Pearce – Teachers cannot provide a reference for this scholarship.
- District Authority Scholarships will open March 4th and close April 5th students need to create a visual display to demonstrate their skill progression in their chosen area. Ms. Evans will be holding 4 workshops for students to come and see examples of work from students in past years. Those dates are March 7 & 13 during lunch and March 5 & 14 after school. Students that excel in the following areas are encouraged to apply
- Indigenous Languages and Culture, demonstrated at school or in the community
- Fine Arts (e.g., Visual Arts, Dance, Drama, Music)
- Applied Skills (e.g., Business Ed, Technology Ed, Home Economics)
- Physical Activity (e.g., Athletics, Dance, Gymnastics, not limited to Physical Education)
- International Languages with Integrated Resource Packages (IRPs) or External Assessments, including AP and IB courses
- Community Service (Volunteer Activity), which includes demonstration of local and global issues and cultural awareness
- Technical and Trades Training (e.g., Carpentry, Automotive, Mechanics, Cook Training)
- If students have questions they can email firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by portable #4 during office hours. Monday/Wednesday/Friday 11:30-12:00, Tuesday morning 8-8:30am, Thursday after school 3-3:00pm. Drop in hours are also for staff who have questions about scholarships and how they can support students.
- Once the District Authority Scholarship closes all remaining Scholarships will open April 8th and close at various dates. The only exception will be scholarships that have specific deadlines earlier than May 3rd or those that have funding confirmation after April 15th.
- Students should also check out the school's scholarship website to see scholarship eligibility and deadlines https://mssscholarshipinfo.weebly.com/ and newly added this year is an Instagram account mss_scholars. The Instagram site has updates and deadline reminders posted on an as needed basis.
Important Notes and Changes
The Program’s purpose has been reaffirmed: to recognize student achievement and encourage students to pursue post-secondary education.
- All scholarships will be in the form of vouchers to be used upon registration and payment of tuition at a designated post-secondary institution.
- Passport to Education stamps have been phased out. Final allocation was awarded to Grade 12 students only in the 2014/15 school year. Passport stamps can still be redeemed before their expiry dates.
- District/Authority Scholarships will be given as vouchers only. A new area of recognition has been added: Indigenous Languages and Culture.
- NEW - BC Excellence Scholarship will be launched for graduates in the 2015/16 school year.
- NEW - BC Achievement Scholarship will be launched for graduates in the 2015/16 school year
Schools are reminded that an online calendar of important dates related to Provincial exams and data transfers is available at:www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/calendar
Schools are reminded that they can upload TRAX files at any time between mid-October and mid-July. This can help to keep transcript records up-to-date for students who complete courses outside a standard semester or a full year timetable.
DISTRICT SCHOLARSHIPS - opens March 4 and closes April 12, 2019
The District Authority Scholarship Acknowledges excellence in Indigenous Languages and Culture, (demonstrated at school or in the community), Fine Arts (e.g., Visual Arts, Dance, Drama, Music), Applied Skills (e.g., Business Ed, Technology Ed, Home Economics), Physical Activity (e.g., Athletics, Dance, Gymnastics, not limited to Physical Education), International Languages including AP and IB courses, Community Service (Volunteer Activity), which includes demonstration of local and global issues and cultural awareness, Technical and Trades Training (e.g., Carpentry, Automotive, Mechanics, Cook Training). The District Scholarships are in the amount of $1250.00
Candidates for District Awards must:
- complete graduation requirements in June of the year of application
- achieve at least a C+ average
- maintain good attendance
- display superior achievement in their field, and
- submit a visual display of achievements.
Most post-secondary institutions offer a series of Entrance Scholarships to those students who have high academic achievement. Most applications are made in late spring and usually require letters of reference and a personal goal statement. Students are urged to research information and contact the institution of choice for deadline dates.
MISSION COMMUNITY FOUNDATION - closes February 28, 2019
(Application forms available in November from the Foundation's website or the counselling area here at MSS. Deadline for submitting applications is the third Thursday in February of your graduating year)
The Mission Foundation is a non-profit organization set up and administered by citizens in Mission. Each year the Mission Foundation awards several thousand dollars to high school graduates who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement, community and school involvement as well as, personal qualities. The applications are processed after the closing date and then students will be selected for a scholarship awards panel interview.
SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY AWARDS
A number of community groups and businesses in Mission award scholarships to students who are going on to a post-secondary institution, and who meet previously determined criteria (varies from business to business. The applications for these awards begin to become available at the end of January or when confirmation of funding is processed. Students are encouraged to check the MSS scholarship information page on a regular basis.
Scholarship information is available from Mrs. Evans portable #4.